You are invited to submit your ideas for the Cool Up demonstration projects, showcasing the successful application of sustainable cooling in our partner countries: Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, and Türkiye. Following the submission of an idea, applications will be shortlisted. A Cool Up expert will then follow up with applicants to gather additional information about their projects before making a final decision. Selected projects will benefit from technical, funding, and/or marketing support.
Cooling is a major consumer of energy in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. With the Cool Up demonstration projects, we want to illustrate that sustainable cooling in the MENA region is possible, feasible, and safe. The Cool Up demonstration projects will exemplify what is achievable with sustainable cooling in the region.
Sustainable cooling is affordable and safe cooling that meets users’ needs while having minimal impact on the environment. Specifically, sustainable cooling does not use environmentally harmful refrigerants such as fluorinated gases (F-gases), it has low energy demand through high efficiency, and it is compatible with a fully renewable energy supply.
Applications are now closed.
Deadline for submission of ideas:
15 March 2023
Eligible project countries:
Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Türkiye
Anyone can submit project ideas for the competition, however, Cool Up is particularly interested in working with:
- Building owners or investors (private or public)
- Retail and hospitality i.e., supermarkets, hotels, restaurants, etc.
- Architects, technical advisors, and engineers
- Local equipment manufacturers that are converting to natural refrigerants
Eligible cooling technologies:
Technologies that use natural refrigerants or no refrigerants for commercial air conditioning, residential air conditioning, and commercial refrigeration.
~2 years (including monitoring and evaluation)
Demonstration projects benefits
The demonstration projects will serve as role models for an accelerated and broad uptake of sustainable cooling in the MENA region and Türkiye. Successful applicants will be eligible to receive a range of support from Cool Up.
- • Support for technology selection cost-benefit and risk-analyses
- • Support for technology procurement and commissioning
- • Monitoring and support for system optimisation
- • Support for servicing and maintenance
- • Capacity building support for accessing project funding, such as loans or third-party funding
- • Financial support for transitioning to more sustainable solution, depending on the eligibility of the project idea (e.g. financial support for purchase of equipment)
- • Promotion on the Cool Up website, social media, and other channels and high visibility as front runner and role model for sustainable cooling in the region and beyond
- • Capacity building support for policies and regulations
- • Support for other marketing activities
Need more information?
Download the FAQs, glossary, and overview of eligible cooling technologies.
Project evaluation and criteria
The selection will be done considering the aim of Cool Up programme in showcasing environmental, technical, financial advantages of sustainable cooling technologies. The selection will be guided by, but not limited to, the following criteria:
- Energy saving potential
- High impact (scalability and commercial viability on the long-term perspective, energy and emissions savings)
- Domestically produced and/or distributed technologies is an advantage
- Preference of new in-kind technology to the specific country (no support for early-stage R&D technologies)
- Compatibility with a fully renewable energy supply
- Availability of spare parts and after sales service (if not already available, it needs to be created with the project setup)
The selection of projects consists of two phases:
- Interested parties will submit an idea. Cool Up will review all applications and make a shortlist pre-selection from the submissions that meet the minimum requirements, and that represent the most promising project ideas.
- Shortlisted projects will be notified and asked to provide additional information to assist Cool Up in selecting its final demonstration projects.